In this article, we have discussed how to make mashed potatoes at your home with the step by step and easy explanation. Of course, my family and I love mashed potatoes, and I’m sure you love it too! If you search on Google about freshly mashed potato recipes, many different types of recipes are available. However, most of them are not home-friendly, and you can only enjoy them on special occasions, but I’ve included a recipe that is easy to make at your home and enjoy the bowl within a few minutes.
Table of Contents
Homemade Mashed Potatoes:
The recipe I’ve shared here will give you satisfying yields, smooth and fluffy texture, and delicious taste. Many of my readers comment that they’ve made this dish many times. And they all make it again and again.
What Is Mashed Potatoes Recipe?
Generally, the basic version of mashed potatoes is made with only a few ingredients like butter, milk, potatoes, salt, and pepper. First, we cook the potatoes and make them tender, and after that, we strain the cooked potatoes and mash them.
The following steps come with the addition of salt, butter, pepper, and warm milk. However, there is room to add any of your favorite herbs, seasonings, spices, or greens.
My Recipe for Mashed Potatoes:
This recipe gives you a fluffy texture, and you will love it trying it for the first time. We will start with the ingredients I’ve added to the recipe and discuss why I used the specific ingredients in this recipe. I advise you to make these mashed potatoes in bulk because if you have leftover mashed potatoes, you can enjoy them again. All you need is to keep the ingredients in the same proportions and enjoy.
List Of Ingredients:
- Black Pepper
Garlic is used in mashed potatoes because it enhances the overall flavor of your dish. Of course, you can also try mashed potatoes without using garlic, but it will feel like you have missed adding something.
You must use fresh herbs, but many people can’t use fresh herbs. So, when you don’t have fresh herbs handy, you can use dry herbs or use both dry and fresh herbs. Using fresh herbs will give a better taste.
Milk is used explicitly for a creamy texture but uses only whole milk. But if you are on the vegan diet, use coconut milk or almond milk.
Fat can be added by extra virgin olive oil or butter, but I advise using only butter.
It would help if you used freshly crushed black pepper. It is a better option, but you can use black pepper powder if you don’t have it.
How To Make At Home?
Mashed potatoes are a fluffy and creamy recipe that you and your family can regularly enjoy or on special occasions. It’s straightforward to make this recipe at your home, and there is no special requirement of equipment or ingredients that are not handy. Here is how to make one bowl of mashed potatoes.
- You need five minutes to prepare mashed potatoes.
- You need twenty-five minutes to cook mashed potatoes.
- Therefore, the total time required is 30 minutes.
- 500 grams of potatoes. Take 6 – 7 medium-sized fresh potatoes of medium starch content.
- Take two cups of water
- Salt to taste
- One-half cup of milk (+ two tablespoons of milk)
- Use salted or unsalted butter (two tablespoons)
- Finely chop three to four small cloves of garlic. You can also use minced or crushed.
- Use any two to three of the fresh herbs. If not handy, try to add dried herbs (one teaspoon)
- Black pepper, as required.
- Rinse your potatoes in the water and keep them in the colander, and if there is any unwanted mud, remove it. After that, drain your potatoes and peel them.
- Chop rinsed potatoes into small pieces.
- Transfer them into a pan.
- Add a half teaspoon of salt and two cups of water and leave to boil.
- Cover your pan, keep the heat flame low to medium, and let potatoes cook from within.
- At certain times, check if the potatoes are cooked or not.
- Chop the garlic cloves and herbs if using fresh herbs.
- Let potatoes be softened, but not much that it becomes very soft and fall apart.
- Use a knife or fork and pass it through the potatoes. It will pass through it smoothly if cooked properly.
- Pour these potatoes into the colander again and drain water.
- Use the same pan and add the milk you have kept.
- Add butter to the milk.
- Add chopped or minced garlic. (You can also add garlic to the boiling potatoes)
- Heat the pan and keep the heat low. Let the butter melt in the pan, and mix it with garlic and milk.
- The milk and butter will become hot and come to a boil.
- Now turn off the flame.
- Add potatoes to the hot pan.
How To Make Mashed Potatoes?
Once you have added potatoes to the liquid, remove the pan from the stove.
Use a potatoes masher and mash potatoes. You can also use a vegetable masher. You can use any masher or anything that has ricer-like holes. A simple potatoes ricer is also a great option when you don’t have a masher.
Keep mashing the potatoes to make a smooth, fluffy, and light texture, but it should have consistency. However, you must also ensure that you don’t mash potatoes too much, or it will make the starches break down more and make the paste a gummy, gluey, or sticky texture.
Add more butter and warm milk if you think the consistency is not good yet.
Also, Do The Following:
Sprinkle your black pepper powder and salt, but ensure that it doesn’t increase the saltines too much because you have added salt to the boiling potatoes.
- Also, add some dried and fresh herbs (two to three teaspoons).
- Now mix everything if you like, let it be as it is, and prepare for the serving.
- Take a serving bowl, and serve mashed potatoes while they’re still hot or warm.
- You can garnish it with chopped parsley, but chives are also a great option.
- If needed, you can add a little butter to garnish it.
How To Store Leftover Mashed Potatoes?
When you have learned how to make mashed potatoes at home, I’ve advised you to make it in bulk because it tastes great, and you may want to enjoy it the next day, and you will try to make it in large quantities. But how do you store these leftover mashed potatoes? You can cover it and put it in the refrigerator. It can also be frozen, but make sure you bring it to room temperature first before reheating it again to serve.
Some Easy Points To Remember:
- You can use any masher or potatoes ricer—your goal of to make a paste of potatoes only.
- Add herbs and spices of your favorites.
- Use sunflower oil if you don’t have butter or olive oil.
- Salted and unsalted butter are both usable.
- You need to whistle if you use a pressure cooker to boil potatoes.
- The potatoes with high starch content are better too.
- You can skip the garlic if you don’t eat it.
- Use only medium or high starched potatoes that are like russet potatoes. Most Indian potatoes are high in starch, and that’s enough for this recipe.
- You must avoid overcooking the potatoes because overcooking may lead the water to enter the potatoes, and it will taste watery.
- Do not use a stand mixer to mash the potatoes because the mixer often mashes the potatoes, and it will spoil the texture.
- You must ensure that the final texture of mashed potatoes is creamy and fluffy. But of course, it depends on the type of potatoes you use.
- Do not let the water log into the potatoes because it won’t let you get the exact consistency you need. Also, if the boiled potatoes have water in them, it will dilute the flavor and the texture of mashed potatoes.
- You can not skip adding fats to it because it helps to bring consistency and smooth texture.
- There is no need to add cheese or cream to make the mashed potatoes creamy. It’s naturally creamy when appropriately mashed and added with butter.
- If you are cooking potatoes for the first time in a pressure cooker for making mashed potatoes, let on two wheels blow, and check if it’s ok or not.
Did you understand how to make mashed potatoes at your home? In this article, I have shared the traditional and the best recipe to make homemade Mashed Potatoes uniquely. I’ve also shared the tips and experts’ advice before making mashed potatoes at your home. If you still have any confusion about mashed potatoes and their recipe, write to us in the comments below. We will try to figure out the issue with your cooking and solve it to let you make delicious mashed potatoes at your home.