If you were looking for some flavorful and tasty recipes using chicken taco seasoning, then you are at the right place. Here, you will learn to make some taco recipes that are super simple and very tasty too. Tacos are on the regular dinner menu in a lot of homes. It can be the vegan ones, or with some steak or chicken, and sometimes fish too. Nowadays, keto snacks are quite a popular thing, and tacos also fall under that category.
Tacos are suitable options for weeknight meals when you get home after a busy day and don’t feel like doing much. Moreover, you can cut short on the prep timing and ensure enough nutrition in the filling. In this article, let us focus on tacos that can use the chicken taco seasoning. Of course, using chicken is the best match in this case, and it is also one of the healthiest proteins. Besides, cooking chicken is easy, less time-consuming, and oh! Well, everyone loves it too!
To save up on meal prep times, a great tip is to make a big batch of marination ready in your fridge. You can even prepare the filling and store it for later use. In that case, you can just spread some tortillas, spread the filling that you had made earlier. To that, use the chicken taco seasoning along with your favorite sauces, wrap them, and there you are! Some healthy ingredients to add to your chicken tacos can be romaine lettuce instead of the regular ones. It makes quite a difference when it comes to the carbohydrate level.
Table of Contents
What are the recipes where you can use a chicken taco seasoning?
Here is a list of Mexican chicken taco recipes that you can savor for dinner whenever you are short of time and still want to have something nice. Tacos are great deals when it comes to movie nights at home or small house parties. These are great as finger food, and they are quite filling too.
Chicken taco recipe with a creamy avocado and cilantro sauce
Tacos can reach an entirely new level when adding creamy cilantro and avocado sauce to the filling. This chicken taco recipe can use shrimps, too, if you want to try something exotic one day. However, since we are here to try out the options that will enhance the chicken taco seasoning flavor, let us go plain for now.
In this shredded chicken tacos recipe, the protein and the avocado complement each other very well. However, the star of the dish is the cilantro sauce that adds to the freshness and extra zing. It is entirely zesty, creamy, and so delicious. Plus, adding the chicken taco seasoning and garlic brings an extra touch of authenticity to this simple recipe. You can now add the chicken taco seasoning packet to the filling during marination or season up things later.
Once you are ready with all the condiments, take a portion of the marinated chicken and cook it in a grill pan or skillet. You have to add only a few teaspoons of oil. Plus, the fact that you can shred the chicken once peaceful means that it will cook well quickly and absorb all the flavors.
Ingredients for the shredded chicken tacos recipe
For the chicken:
- Chicken breast (smaller pieces for quick-cooking)- 1 pound
- Olive oil- 2 tablespoons
- Garlic (minced or crushed)- 2 cloves
- Chili powder- 1 tablespoon
- Cumin (ground)- ½ teaspoons
- Garlic or onion powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Chicken taco seasoning- 2 spoons
- kosher salt-1/4 teaspoon
- a squeeze of lime- optional
lime cilantro sauce:
- Greek Yogurt/ mayo/ sour cream -1/2 cup
- Cilantro-1/4 cup
- Garlic-1 clove
- lime juice-1 teaspoon
- pepper and salt- to taste
- avocados(sliced)- 2nos.
- corn or flour tortillas – 6 to 8 small
How to make it?
- Take the chicken breasts and cut them into smaller portions to be able to cook them better.
- Take a medium-size bowl and add some olive oil, Chicken taco seasoning, salt, garlic, onion powder, cumin, and chili. Now, this adds the chicken pieces and starts tossing till all the spices cover it nicely. If you want to cook it the same day, then refrigerate the mixture for 15 minutes, or it is best to let it marinate for about 48 hours.
- Take a heavy bottom griddle or an iron skillet and heat it on high flame for a minute or two. Now pour in the olive oil and place the chicken so that every piece touches the skillet.
- Cook everything on medium-high heat till you see excellent char marks on the chicken. It is when you can understand that the chicken is cooked thoroughly on the inside too. You have to let the chicken cook for at least 10-12 minutes on each side.
- Now, turn off the flame and add a squeeze of lime if you wish to.
- Take a bowl and add some sour cream, lime juice, salt & pepper, garlic, and cilantro to a food processor or blender for the cilantro sauce.
- Let the ingredients blend for a minute till they become a creamy paste. That’s it!
- Now, it is time to char the tortillas on the stove-top and make sure they are warm till you serve them.
- In the meantime, shred the chicken and spread the filling. Now, add the avocado pieces and finally the sauce. You can also add the avocados to the cilantro sauce before blending to make a creamier sauce too.
Quick chicken taco recipe for busy dinner nights
when you have already tried the previous recipe, this one becomes quicker. It is because one condiment is already there, which is the creamy cilantro sauce. Now, it is time to add some classic pico de gallo for the ultimate spicy tacos. These are the best version of a simple chicken taco recipe because of the zesty toppings and the spicy meat.
The flavors kind of pop inside the mouth, and you will automatically want to come in for the next bite. Now, tacos are something that should have a scope for modifications. People want to customize it according to their taste. Keeping it simple like this one is better. Like any other good taco dish, the initial step is to add some freshly cooked protein. In this case, it is our chicken that we are to grill soon.
Using boneless thighs is the best for this recipe because that is one part of the chicken that retains the most juices and remains soft after cooking. While you can also use chicken breasts, make sure that you do not overcook them. Always remember that simplicity is the key when it comes to cooking tacos!
You will be surprised to know the fillings in a classic street taco in Mexico. While nowadays there is more meat and flavors in them, originally things were different. The regular taco filling consists of chopped onion, tomato, cilantro, tomato, and some lime juice and salsa inside corn tortillas. Yes, there was no mention of avocado, cheese, sour cream, and other seasonings and condiments. However, now, you can jazz up things with your personal touch. For example, you can add some guacamole, romaine lettuce, cheese, and more.
- chicken thighs/ chicken breasts (boneless skinless)- 1 pound
- garlic minced-2 cloves
- lime juice- 1 tablespoon (optional)
- olive oil-2 tablespoons
- chili powder-1 tablespoon
- paprika- 1/2 teaspoon
- onion powder or garlic powder- ½ teaspoon
- salt- 1/2 teaspoon or as per taste
- black pepper- 1/4 teaspoon
- flour or corn tortillas- 8 small
pico de Gallo:
- onion (finely chopped)- 1/2 cup
- tomato (finely chopped)- 1/2 cup
- cilantro (finely chopped)- 1/4 cup
- jalapeño (finely chopped and deseeded)- 1 no.
- lime juice- 1 tsp
- pepper and salt- to taste
How to make it?
- Add the garlic, spices, lime, olive oil, and chicken to a big bowl or a Ziploc bag in which you can shake it well.
- Take a pan and turn on the flame to a medium-high. Now start cooking the chicken for 6-7 minutes on each side. Make sure that the chicken does not look pink from the inside. Another way of checking the cook on the chicken is to measure until the chicken’s temperature comes up to a 165-degrees F.
- Please take off the chicken from the heat and rest for a minimum of five minutes. Then, you can shred, cube, or chop into smaller pieces.
- While the chicken is cooking in the pan, let us get ready with the mixture. For the same, you will have to add the chopped jalapeno, tomato, cilantro, and onion. To this, you have to add some lime juice and toss nicely.
- It is now your choice whether or not you will want to char the tortillas. It is alright even if you don’t.
- Now, it is time for the assembling. Spread around a quarter cup of cooked chicken on each of the tacos. Now top it off with the salsa and some cilantro sauce or any other of your choice.
Baked tacos when you are feeling experimental
The recipe you will learn now is a seven-ingredient taco that is fun to cook and very tasty. Plus, they are incredibly flavorful and are done within half an hour. The Taco Tuesday will undoubtedly reach an entirely new level when you serve this recipe to your family. The best part about this recipe is that you can cook the chicken and all other ingredients in a single pan for just about ten minutes. Now, you are only left with the task of filling the tortillas and baking them. There is zero fuss and mess, and baking them means you can cook a bigger batch at once quickly.
When it comes to the chicken for this taco recipe, you can use any chopped, shredded, and cooked version. Even our regular leftover chicken or rotisserie version works well in this case. You can otherwise use the regular packet taco seasoning on any chicken cut and grill it for this recipe too. You can also add beans to these tacos for some added texture and flavor.
onion minced-1/2 cup
chicken shredded and cooked- 2 cups
black beans -1 cup (optional)
diced or salsa tomatoes- 1 cup
taco seasoning- 3 tablespoons
tacos (hard shell)- 12 nos.
cheddar/ mozzarella/ any melting variety (shredded)- 1 cup
cilantro- for garnishing
How to make?
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Now spread foil inside a 9×13 baking tray and also spread a parchment sheet on top.
- Take a pan and add olive oil to it. Put the flame on a medium-high and add the onions. It would be best if you cooked them lightly till they are golden. To this, add the black beans, chicken, taco seasoning, and salsa. You have to cook all of this for about five minutes and keep stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, arrange the taco shells in the baking tray. Now, fill the shells with a few heaped spoons of the chicken filling in each one. Top everything with shredded cheese and bake for about 15 minutes until it melts.
- You can serve your tacos now with a sour cream dip, along with lime slices and lettuce.
Note: Since tacos are continually changing according to people’s tastes and moods, these that you see are no exception. Now, the best alterations are, of course, in the condiments and dips. Some of the best options to play with our regular salsa, aioli, pico de gallo, guacamole, or simple cheese or sour cream. Some people also like their tacos with a spicy dip that includes an oily blend of seasoning, vinaigrette, and olive oil. A splash of balsamic vinegar can also add to the zest!
Adding too many options will only confuse you regarding what to make for dinner. So, we are trying to keep things simple with a lot of scope for the experiment. When you are bored of having chicken tacos, replace the protein with some steak or other exotic seafood.