Shepherds always make healthy recipes. Right? But did you taste one of the best and most nutritious recipes created by shepherds? Here in this article, we have shared the detailed process of making healthy Shepherd’s Pie at your home. So, if you have enjoyed it once at any place and you are wondering how to make this delicious pie at your home, don’t worry. This Shepherd’s pie is a low-calorie recipe to decrease your body’s carbs intake, but of course, it’s high in protein and fiber. This recipe is prepared with cauliflower, roasted garlic, and delicious ingredients that enhance the flavor of this recipe.
Table of Contents
As we discussed, this recipe is high in protein, low in carbs, and rich in nutrients and flavors. Hence, you can consider this delicious dish while looking for the best and most comfortable winter meals. The results will be low in calories, gluten-free recipes. It also includes Paleo.
What Is Shepherd’s Pie?
A healthy shepherd’s pie or cottage pie is a great thing to try once because it’s one of the best traditional recipes, including ground beef, mashed potatoes, and healthy ingredients tastemakers. Also, it contains ground turkey, mashed cauliflower, and roasted garlic. Let’s give you detailed information about this recipe.
The first thing that makes the recipe best is its low carbs. You can swap potatoes with mashed cauliflower, which will have low carbs. Of course, potatoes are healthy, and people having a weight loss diet can include potatoes in their dishes, but as much as you take potatoes, it will help your weight gain too. Even if you don’t like the taste of cauliflower, you don’t need to worry because it won’t have its original taste in this Shepherd’s Pie.
A healthy shepherd’s pie is also low in fats because, in this recipe, the chefs use 93% of ground turkey, which makes it low in fats. So, you only get 7 grams of fat per serving, and that’s negligible. This pie is gluten-free because all these natural ingredients have no gluten in them at all. The recipe is lightweight because it only delivers 342 calories per serving, and that’s amazing because its serving is full of foods and high volume. So, it’s low in calories.
How To Make Healthy Shepherd’s Pie At Home?
The following sections cover the detailed process of making this healthy pie at your home. Still, we want to mention that if you have never made any pies at home, please consider this article and understand each step carefully to feel the real taste. That’s the easiest way to make the lightened pie at your home.
- Roasted and mashed cauliflower with garlic
- 93% ground turkey
- Tomato paste
- Chicken broth
- Salt and Pepper
Things You Need:
- Have a large skillet
- Take one Spatula
- A large baking dish
The Steps To Follow:
The following are the most straightforward steps you can follow to make a healthy shepherd’s pie at your home. Do you know that making the pie healthy and tasty is straightforward? A few tricks, tips, and a little cooking skill are enough. Here are the steps.
- At first, you need to start with roasting garlic cauliflower and mashing. It’s quick, and you don’t have to spend much time. Do you know when it will be used? You have to add it to the top of the pie when you place it for baking. It’s a great way to have a flavourful, healthy pie.
- The next step is to make the fillings. You must cook veggies, salt, pepper, olive oil, and other things in a large skillet. You can save time by pulsing the veggies in the blender. When you see softened veggies, it’s time to add the ground turkey to the skillet. Break it with the Spatula when it’s cooking.
- When you are done, add broth and tomato paste, stir it, and add thyme, rosemary, and frozen peas.
- When everything is added, transfer your recipe to the large dish. Add the cauliflower mash you made, and put it in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Awesome! It’s ready to serve when you remove it from the oven.
How To Make This Recipe In Short Time?
Don’t worry when you are running out of time but want to make this Shepherd’s recipe, don’t worry. You can prepare the recipe on weekends and store it in the refrigerator, but remember to keep it covered, and when you want to make it, remove it from the fridge, let it cool for some time, and then put it in the oven. Hence, it’s ready for lunch or dinner. You can also try to make the entire dish and store it in the refrigerator. Just reheat when you want to have meals.
Substitutes For Healthy Shepherd’s Recipe Of Pie:
- Do you want to change any ingredients? We have given some of the best substitutes for this Shepherd’s pie, but don’t forget that changing any ingredient with another will also change the nutrient content of the dish.
- You can use any ground meat for this recipe, like chicken or ground beef, if you don’t prefer ground turkey, but use only 95-97% to have some fat content to give delicious flavor.
- Chicken broth can be replaced with beef stock, chicken stock, or even vegetable stock, but do not add salt to it or prefer low sodium.
- Of course, this recipe has no cauliflower taste, but many people won’t like it. So, replace cauliflower mash with parsnip mash, butternut mash, or try sweet potato mash.
- Spices are replaceable with dried parsley or don’t add anything.
- There is no need to worry because the recipe is dairy-free and gluten-free, and you don’t have to change all ingredients.
Let’s Give A Quick Recipe Look!
You’ve understood the thorough concept and procedure to make Shepherd’s pie healthily, but do you know how to measure ingredients? Let’s discuss it, and you will learn how to make this recipe with proper ingredients and measurements at your home.
The following recipe will yield four servings.
Each serving will give approximately 342 Kcal.
- Mash roasted garlic cauliflower
- A tablespoon of olive oil (extra virgin)
- Dice one cup of carrot
- Dice three-fourth cups of celery
- Dice one-half cups of white onion
- Mince two tablespoons of garlic
- One pound of ground turkey
- Prepare tomato paste (one-fourth cups)
- Use one cup of frozen peas
- A teaspoon of thyme
- Low sodium/no salted chicken broth (one cup)
- A tablespoon of rosemary, salt, and pepper for taste
Recipe Procedure Steps:
- Roast garlic and cauliflower together and mash them accordingly.
- Heat your oven to 375°F.
- Put one large skillet on medium heat.
- Add olive oil to the skillet and heat it.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, carrot, celery, and onions.
- Sauté it for at least 6 to 8 minutes or till the ingredients soften.
- Add the turkey and break it into pieces with Spatula.
- Let everything cook for at least 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and tomato paste, and let it boil. Once it comes to a boil, please remove it from the heat.
- Add rosemary, peas, and thyme.
- Stir your dish to ensure everything combines well.
- Take a large dish and pour everything into it.
- Top your dish with a prepared mash of garlic cauliflower.
- Put the dish into the oven and cook it for 25 minutes. It will turn the healthy Shepherd’s pie into a light brown at the edges.
- Serve this healthy pie immediately after removing it from the oven. You can keep it fresh for up to seven days when stored in the refrigerator. If you keep it frozen, it can be stored for up to 30 days.
How To Store Leftover Shepherd’s Pie?
Get a container to store this pie in the refrigerator for seven days. It would be best to reheat the pie when you want to serve it or have it. Please put it in the microwave oven to reheat the dish.
You can keep the dish for up to 30 days when you freeze it. All you need is to choose a suitable container, pack it well, and put it in the freezer. If you are reheating the frozen Shepherd’s pie, remember to leave it at room temperature until it gets it, and then put it in the oven. It will save the flavors and oven energy.
Did you understand how to make a healthy shepherd’s pie at your home? This article discusses the primary procedure for healthily making Shepherd’s pie. We also discussed the shortest and the easiest recipe with all steps to make this dish at your home. Do you still have any queries? We discussed a few things about substituting some of its core ingredients if you want to avoid some ingredients. Hence, you can design and modify Shepherd’s pie according to your experience and desired taste or ingredients.