Natural clay is one of the Mother Nature’s gift to mankind. Fuller’s Earth is one such clay which people have deployed the most for skin benefits. Today Fuller’s earth is the most common item in beauty kitty of any girl, isn’t it? Fuller’s earth is different from Bentonite clay (type of volcanic ash) which is also very popular. Fuller’s earth is also known by Multani Mitti (soil from land of Multan in Pakistan) or Living Clay.
What is Fuller’s Earth? Most clay contains Calcium Bentonite. But when clay is further weathered to size less than a micron, it is referred at montmorillonite. Fuller’s earth is scientifically Calcium Montmorillonites. In geology, this clay belongs to smectite group of clays which has amazing power of absorption and adsorption. This is the reason why it is termed living clay.
Why it is called fuller’s earth? Only history can reveal the answer. Fulling is process of cleansing and thickening woolen cloth. This earth/clay has been used by people employed in this trade – known as fuller. Today it is widely available and best used for cosmetic purposes.
What does fuller’s earth contain? It would contain complex oxides of calcium, sodium, silicon, magnesium, aluminum, iron and other minerals.
Fuller’s Earth Benefits for Skin
Fuller’s earth has long history of use for medicinal purpose. There is reference that warriors used to sooth inflamed feet, treat blisters and heal wounds. It has been used as styptic to stop bleeding or as plaster for drawing pus. In some regions, people working in dye houses used to apply layer of fullers earth to prevent their skin from damage from dyes. Today it is found in some tooth pastes, laxatives, ointments treating bedsores and joint pains. Edible variety of clay is claimed to be strong detoxifying agent, nutrient and antibacterial. But the strongest benefit remains for skin care applications. Multani Mitti face packs are far more popular. It works on wide range of skin problems. While it offers good base for other skin treatment ingredients, it doesn’t have any side effects on skin. Major part of this write up would focus on benefits of multani mitti for skin and hair.
Skin cleansing properties of Fuller’s earth
Often our skin pores get clogged with dead cells, dirt, dust, oil and other unwanted particles. It is like choking your skin. This many times results in development of acne or pimples. As a skin cleanser you require something which sort of works as magnet and pulls all these impurities. Fuller’s earth is one such magnet for impurities. It has excellent absorbing power which absorbs oil, dead cells and other impurities from your skin and makes it clean. It also has deep cleansing action. People suffering from oily skin or pimples should use Multani Mitti face packs. For people with dry skin, it may leave your skin further dry. So nourishing your skin with moisturizer is essential after use of multani mitti.
Fuller’s earth improves skin elasticity
This clay has ability to pull your skin and tone it up. Thus it removes signs of aging, wrinkles and loose skin. Fuller’s earth does this by improving the elasticity of your skin which makes it more resilient and lively.
Cool your skin with Multani Mitti
Fuller’s earth has excellent cooling properties. It has a soothing effect on your skin. So when skin is troubled by hot temperature or sun burns, multani mitti is the wonderful solution. This cooling effect is quick and long lasting. To boost this soothing effect you may add rose water to your multani mitti face pack.
Improve your skin complexion with Fuller’s earth face pack
Most people want a fair complexion. Even if it is not about fair or dark, all women want their skin to be glowing, free of blemishes and even tone. Fuller’s earth removes any scars or blemishes from your skin. It is also helpful reduce sun tan and pigmentation.
Antiseptic property of Fuller’s earth
Living Clay is not so living for bacteria and other microbes. Its particles are at times smaller than few bacteria and just sticks to them which results in their death. This makes fuller’s earth good antiseptic agent. It has been traditionally used as bandage for wounds and protects them from infection. Native American used this living clay for treating internal and external injuries.
Home remedy for pimples and acne
When we combine a great cleansing property with strong antibacterial formulation, we get perfect recipe for cane and pimples. Fuller’s earth it is! Multani Mitti is excellent home remedy for removing not only pimples and acne but also their marks. One should regularly apply this clay for cleaner and good looking skin.
Home remedy for nappy rash
Nappy rash is due friction of diaper or nappies with skin. It is further aggravated by urine or stool particles sticking to this damaged skin, which results in rash, itching and painful inflammation. Use of chemicals is not good when it comes to your baby. Fuller’s earth is good natural chemical free remedy for your baby’s nappy rash. Clay powdered is carefully sprinkled on baby’s bottom. It cleanses the skin and soothes inflammation with cooling effect. The clay can be later washed away or wiped with damp cloth. So why waste money, use this cost effective natural solution for nappy rash.
Prevent skin allergy with fuller’s earth
Skin allergies often results in rash, itching and inflammation. Fuller’s earth is natural cure for skin allergy. Apply multani mitti pack containing rose water and some camphor to infected area. It will soothe your allergic rash.
How to Use Multani Mitti for skin
After having read the benefits of fuller’s earth, you might have some queries. How can I use multani mitti for skin? Can I use it daily? How do I use if my skin is dry?
Using fuller’s earth is very simple. Mix it with water and apply thick paste to your face or skin. Wash it once it starts appearing dried. Now instead of water, you may add other fluids – fruit juice or coconut water. With clay, you can also mix other natural herbs in powder form which are good for skin or fruit pulp. There are multiple combinations in which you can you this clay for amazing benefits for skin. There could be some combination available in ready to use face packs. You can try one of them or use one of the combinations listed below:
- Fuller’s earth with lemon juice and honey face pack – Just mix Fuller’s earth with lemon juice and honey. This is good for acne, pimples, psoriasis and other skin problems. Explore this website to read more about benefits of lemon and honey. Both are wonderful antioxidant and antibacterial agents.
- Multani Mitti with rose water – Rose has equally skin cooling properties. You can add rose water along with water to make paste of fuller’s earth. This will give you a refreshing cool feeling.
- Multani Mitti and Neem Face Pack – Neem is nature’s gift to mankind. You can add dried neem powder to fuller’s earth paste. Powered by strong antimicrobial properties of neem, it is cure for all skin problems and allergy.
- Multani Mitti and Sandalwood Face Pack – Sandalwood is known for enhancing complexion of skin, its ability to remove scars and marks and moisturizing effect. In short it has abilities very similar to multani mitti. Just mix equal quantities of both with water. You may add little turmeric as well.
- Multani Mitti and Turmeric Face Pack – Turmeric protects skin from various infections and offers even tone. Just mix multani mitti with half amount of turmeric. Mix along with water or honey.
- Multani Mitti and Oatmeal Face Pack – Adding oatmeal gives rough scrubby texture to paste.
- Multani Mitti and Orange Peel powder face mask – Orange peel contains skin beneficial properties. Throwing away orange peel is bad idea; instead dry them in sun and blend to powder. Add one part of dried orange peel powder to two parts of multani mitti.
- Multani Mitti and Carrot face mask – Mix carrot pulp to multani mitti. Carrot contains vitamin A and lot of moisture to help rejuvenate your skin.
- Multani Mitti and Tomato Face Pack – Tomato also contains Vitamin A and its juice can help remove marks. Add tomato juice or pulp to multani mitti and appl this to your face.
- Multani Mitti and Potato Face Mask – Potatoes offer astringent effect. Just grate raw potatoes and extract its juice. Mix this with multani mitti. It is good for removing dark patches.
- Multani Mitti with egg – Egg contain vitamins and minerals required for skin. Mixing fullers earth with egg and curd is good way to offer skin essential nutrients. This is also good face pack if you have dry skin.
- Multani Mitti with coconut water for scar – Coconut water is good for removal of sun tan and scars. Mix fullers earth with coconut water and sugar to apply this to your face and tanned areas.
- Mask of Fuller’s earth with papaya – Papain present in Papaya has excellent benefits for skin. Further it also offers Vitamin E and A. Mix papaya pulp with fullers earth for reducing pigmentation patches.
- Fuller’s earth as scrub – Mix fuller’s earth with oat meal or crushed almonds, add honey or glycerine. Massage your face gently this paste. There should be no better scrub than this natural paste. You would see clean and glowing skin after this scrub.
- Fuller’s earth as body wash – why restrict fullers earth to face. You can bathe with fuller’s earth. Mix it with various other ingredient of your choice; add few drops of essential oil like tea tree oil or lavender oil for a refreshing bath.
- Multani mitti soap – You shouldn’t be surprised if you find a soap made from Multani Mutti. Some of them are already available in Ayurvedic medicine shops for treating allergy
Is Multani Mitti suitable for men? Of course! Fuller’s earth works well for rough skin of men and offer them smooth clean skin as well.
Fuller’s earth benefits for hair
Just like your skin, multani mitti is multiple benefits for hair. We will show you how natural herbal hair pack with multani mitti and other ingredients can prevent hair loss, dandruff and other hair problems. Fullers earth improves blood circulation in scalp. It can be used as home remedy for dandruff and hair loss. It prevents fungal and bacterial growth in scalp, cleanses dead skin cells and thus prevent dandruff. It serves as hair conditioner and prevents split ends. It serves as natural hair straightening agent.
Simple Multani Mitti hair pack – Mix thick paste of fuller’s earth to your scalp. Leave it for 10-15 minutes. Make sure to keep the paste wet and don’t allow paste to dry. Wash your hair thereafter. You may try any of the variant below:
- Aloe Vera and Fuller’s earth hair pack – Mixing fuller’s earth with aloe vera, keeps multani mitti moist enough.
- Multani mitti dandruff pack – Mix multani mitti with fenugreek seed powder, lemon juice and honey. Apply this paste to your scalp. Regular use can keep dandruff at bay. You may also mix yogurt to this paste.
- Fuller’s earth and reetha hair shampoo – Reetha has hair benefiting effects. In Ayurveda it is used for darkening of hair and promote hair growth. Soak reetha seeds and multani mitti overnight. Add more water to make a thick paste to apply to your hair. Reetha has slightly foaming effect and shampoo like properties.
- Multani Mitti and egg hair pack – Egg white is often used to clean your hair and scalp. This time mix white egg with multani mitti and little rice flour. Make a smooth paste. Apply this mud to your hair. Comb your hair straight and wash after 10 minutes. It has good hair straightening effect.
Multani mitti for cramps and pain
Warriers used fullers earth to treat swollen feet. Keeping feet in lukewarm water with fuller’s earth added to it, soothes inflamed feet. This clay is also alternative to warm or cold compress and helps relieving cramps and muscle spasm. It is effective during menstrual abdominal pain, insect bite or burns. You may make fuller’s earth paste with warm or cold water as required.
Multani Mitti Side Effects
We use multani mitti so freely that we generally done think of its side effects if any. Fullers earth if left for longer time may leave your skin dry – devoid of moisture and skin oils. Applying moisturizer to your skin after use of multani mitti should be a good practice. Avoid inhaling fuller’s earth dust. Long exposure to this clay may lead to pneumoconiosis.
Many think that eating fuller’s earth may cause kidney stone. We are not sure if high calcium present in multani mitti can be absorbed by body. However, fuller’s earth may contain various impurities which are harmful when ingested.
Eating Multan Mitti
Food grade fuller’s earth are available which are believed to be wonder detox agent. It cleanses your intestine and is considered good way to heal internal injuries, stomach ulcers and intestinal problems. A study on anti bacterial property of this clay found adsorptive properties for healing ailments of stomach and intestine. It is found effective in healing Buruli ulcer, caused by bacteria Mycobacterium ulcerans.
Antidote for poisoning – Fuller’s earth is long used as antidote to poison. It absorbs poison and prevent it from entering blood. A study found it safe for reducing exposure of aflatoxin in Ghana. In small quantities, it is considered good for treating digestive problems like acid reflux, constipation and flatulence.
This wonderful and cheap gift from Mother Nature can make our life healthy. Fuller’s earth offers benefits to our skin which we must use to the fullest.