In today’s society, a head full of healthy hair is considered a sign of beauty and youthfulness. For most people, hair plays an important role in boosting their self- confidence and personality and because of that, even the thought of losing hair drives them into a state of panic and distress. The need for covering up baldness has made people try out various solutions including medicines, wigs and hair transplantation. But did you know there are numerous easy, safe and effective home remedies for baldness? Yes, there is! Before going into those details, let’s first understand what baldness is and how it is caused.
What is Baldness?
Baldness is one of the most common conditions characterized by excessive hair loss, leading to a part of the scalp becoming completely devoid of hair. Although baldness can occur in both men and women, men are more prone to this condition than women. The common types of baldness include male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness, thinning of hair (telogen effluvium), and alopecia areata.
What Causes Baldness?
The major causes of baldness include the following:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Deficiency of iron
- Family history of baldness
- Medical conditions that lead to hair loss
- Infections of the scalp
- Lack of a protein rich diet
- Excessing use of chemicals, heat and hair styling tools
- Stress and tension
- Thyroid disorders
- Certain medications
Home Remedies for Baldness
Most of the treatment methods available nowadays for baldness are quite expensive and hence not accessible for the common man. Luckily, the following home remedies for baldness are easy to try out and are proven to offer outstanding results:
Coconut oil is one of the best remedies for almost all types of hair problems, including baldness. It has emollient properties and penetrates deep into the scalp, offering effective moisturization of hair. The antimicrobial properties of the oil keep the scalp healthy and safe from bacterial and fungal infections.
Coconut oil prevents hair loss by maintaining the health of the scalp, preventing hair frizz, preventing the loss of proteins, retaining moisture, preventing infections, improving blood circulation and above all providing nourishment to the hair.
- Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Allow it to come to room temperature.
- Using your fingertips, apply the oil on clean scalp and massage gently for a few minutes.
- Wear a shower cap or wrap a towel around your head and leave the oil on your head overnight.
- Wash off the oil in the morning using a mild shampoo.
Aloe Vera Gel
When it comes to skin and hair care, the aloe vera plant is a godsend. Because of its soothing and healing properties, aloe vera can be found in many hair care products such as shampoos and gels.
With an abundance of enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients, aloe vera serves as an excellent remedy for hair loss and baldness. Aloe vera gel, when applied to the scalp moisturizes the scalp, maintains the pH and promotes healthy hair growth.
- Extract the gel from the leaves of the aloe vera plant.
- Apply the gel on your scalp and massage thoroughly.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse off.
- Do this procedure once a week and notice the amazing results.
A common ingredient found in every kitchen that helps prevent dandruff, dry hair and hair fall is lemon. In fact, lemon juice is a key ingredient in various hair masks and remedies for improving the health and appearance of the hair.
Packed with high concentrations of vitamin C, lemon juice stimulates the production of collagen and thereby helps reduce and prevent hair loss. The collagen also helps promote hair growth. The antimicrobial properties of lemon help maintain a healthy scalp by curbing the growth of fungi and other microbes.
- Extract the juice from half a lemon.
- Gently massage your scalp for a few minutes with this juice.
- Leave it in for 10 to 15 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Do this once a week.
Another great remedy for baldness is fenugreek seeds. These seeds are beneficial in getting rid of dandruff, preventing hair fall and promoting healthy hair growth.
- Grind 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds with water to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on your scalp, especially on the areas where hair loss is predominant.
- Leave the paste on your head for about 2 hours and then rinse off with warm water.
- Repeat the procedure once or twice a week.
In addition to a wide range of nutrients, onion is also a rich source of biotin or vitamin B7, which is essential for healthy growth of hair. The high sulfur content in onion strengthens and nourishes the hair follicles and reduces thinning of hair. The antimicrobial properties of onion prevent dandruff and keeps the scalp healthy.
- Extract the juice out of 4 small onions
- Apply the juice on your scalp using a cotton pad.
- Massage your scalp thoroughly with your fingertips.
- Leave it on for one to two hours and then rinse off with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat the procedure every alternate day.
If you’re averse to the smell of onion juice, add a few drops of any essential oil, such as lavender or rosemary oil before applying the juice on your scalp.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a well-known remedy for numerous health problems including diabetes, cancer, hypertension, cholesterol and many more.
Applying ACV on your hair and scalp is beneficial in preventing hair loss and promoting hair growth. It helps maintain the pH balance of the scalp and gets rids of microbes that cause scalp conditions like itchiness and dandruff.
- Dilute 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in one cup of water.
- After shampooing, rinse your hair with the solution.
- Massage your scalp for a few minutes.
- Rinse off the apple cider vinegar with water.
Ginger is an age-old remedy for healing numerous diseases and health issues. But it will come as a surprise to many that this amazing spice is an excellent home remedy for baldness as well.
The nutrients in ginger nourishes the hair follicles, improves blood circulation in the scalp and promotes hair growth. It has moisturizing properties that help prevent dryness and breakage of hair. The antimicrobial effects of the spice help prevent dandruff and other scalp related problems.
- Combine a tablespoon of ginger paste with a tablespoon of any carrier oil such as olive oil, coconut oil or jojoba oil.
- Using your fingertips, gently massage the oil on to your scalp.
- Leave the oil on your scalp for at least half an hour and then rinse off using a mild shampoo.
- For best results, repeat this procedure two times a week for a couple of weeks.
According to a study published in the British Journal of Dermatology, coffee or caffeine serves as an effective remedy for baldness.
The caffeine in coffee targets the dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the hormone that causes the hair follicles to shrink, leading to baldness. Caffeine supplies the hair follicles with the energy it needs to grow properly.
- Combine two teaspoons of coffee powder, one tablespoon of olive oil and one tablespoon of honey in a small bowl.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this process twice a week.
Coconut milk is an excellent source of protein, natural fatty acids, vitamins and minerals that contribute to the health of your hair. These nutrients strengthen the hair, conditions and nourishes it, prevents thinning of hair, boosts hair growth and prevents hair loss and baldness.
- Extract coconut milk by grinding the coconut flesh and squeezing the paste thus formed.
- Apply the milk on your scalp and leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo.
- For best results, repeat this procedure once a week.
Amla or Indian Gooseberry
One of the most commonly used home remedies for hair related problems is the Indian gooseberry or amla. A rich source of vitamin C, antioxidant flavonoids and plenty of other nutrients, amla provides nourishment to the hair follicles and optimizes hair growth.
The regular use of gooseberry on hair strengthens the hair, prevents breakage and hair fall. To reap the benefits of amla, you can either include it in your daily diet or apply the juice on the scalp and hair regularly.
- In a bowl, combine a teaspoon each of amla juice and lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and massage thoroughly for about five minutes.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash it off using a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this procedure once every two weeks.
Book Massage with Soothe Today
There’s a reason why it’s called a New York minute. Somewhere between catching Broadway’s hottest show and training for the New York Marathon, days seem to pass too quickly. With Soothe, you can make the most of your time by ordering a 5-star licensed massage therapist to your home, office, or hotel. From the Upper West Side to Brooklyn and every borough in between, Soothe has you covered. Try us today.
In addition to these remedies, another important factor that plays a major role in determining the health of your hair is your diet. Make sure that you consume foods rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals that are essential for maintaining a healthy scalp and promoting hair growth, such as eggs, carrots, spinach, avocados, whole grains, fish and citrus fruits.
Worried about excessive hair loss? Try any of the home remedies for baldness mentioned here and let us know how it has worked out for you.