Health benefits of Radish:
Naturally cooling: Radishes are a naturally cooling food and their pungent flavor is highly regarded in eastern medicine for the ability to decrease excess heat in the body that can build up during the warmer months.
Sooth sore throats: Their pungent flavor and natural spice can help eliminate excess mucus in the body and can be especially helpful when fighting a cold. Radishes can help clear the sinuses and soothe soar throats too.
Helps digestion: Radishes has natural cleansing effect on the body and digestive system. Radish helps to break down and eliminate stagnant food and toxins built up over time. Further because of high vitamin C content and natural cleansing effects, regular consumption of radishes can help prevent viral infections. In Ayurveda, radishes are considered effective for its toxin purging effects. They eliminate cancer causing free radicals in body. Radishes have a calming effect on the digestive system and can help relieve bloating and indigestion.
Radish and weight loss: Radish are very low in calories but high in nutrients and are great way to add nutrients, fiber and tons of flavor to your meals without compromising your health. It is a very good dietary option for those determined to lose weight.
Radish and Hydration: Radish being root has high water content and lots of vitamin C as well as phosphorus and zinc, and can help keep your body hydrated and your skin looking fresh and healthy through out warm weather.
The benefits of radish against certain ailments and on certain body parts are listed below:
- Jaundice: Radish helps in regulating production and flow of bile and bilirubin, acids, enzymes and removes excess bilirubin from the blood. Thus it proves very effective in jaundice and is good for the liver and the stomach. Radishes act as a very good detoxifier which purifies blood. It helps in increasing the supply of fresh oxygen in blood which protects the red blood cells from destruction during jaundice.
- Urinary Infections: Radishes helps in curing urinary infections. It increases the production of urine which helps in cleaning the kidneys and thus protects the kidneys and urinary system from infections.
- Cancer: Cancer, particularly those of kidney, colon, intestines, stomach and oral cancer can be cured with the help of radish as it is rich in vitamin C, folic and anthocyanins.
- Leucoderma: Eating radish helps in treatment of a skin disease called Leucoderma. The powdered radish seeds soaked in vinegar or ginger juice or cows urine can be applied on the infected skin.
- Skin Disorders: Due to its disinfectant properties, radish helps cure skin disorders, such as drying up, rashes, cracks etc. and also refreshes it.
- Respiratory Disorders: Radishes help in relieving congestion of respiratory system including nose, throat, wind-pipe and lungs.
- Piles: Being a very good detoxifier, it helps heal piles fast. Its juice also soothes the digestive and excretory system.
An interesting recipe with Radishes with Pasta and Radish Greens just to keep your taste buds ticking while enjoying health benefits of radish.
- 24 radishes, sliced (about 2 cups) with green tops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 12-ounce package short pasta such as penne or shells, cooked
- 1/4 cup cooking water from pasta
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Separate the greens from the radishes. Wash greens in several changes of cool water. Drain or spin dry in a salad spinner. Wash and trim radishes. Thinly slice radishes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok. Add onions and cook just until they begin to soften. Add radish slices and greens. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until greens wilt and radishes look almost translucent. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Taste. Adjust seasoning.
- Add drained pasta to skillet and toss. Add cooking liquid from pasta and stir. Sprinkle on the cheese and toss. Pass additional cheese if desired.